Unbelievable as it now seems, this Georgian-style, 110-room estate was the "summer cottage" of actress Marion Davies.
Built in 1926, the house boasted a dining room from an Irish estate that seated 25; 55 bathrooms; 37 fireplaces, some over 250 years old; a gold room furnished in gold leaf; crystal chandeliers from Tiffany's; a ballroom from a 1750 Venetian palazzo; and in the basement a real Elizabethan British public house that seated 50, complete with a bar. With over 750 feet of frontage, the "cottage" was built at a cost of nearly $7,000,000.
Demolished in June 1956, the only remaining structures are the North Guest House and the pool with its Venetian bridge. (Now open to the public!)
[Home] [Blog] [News & Notes] [The Features Page] [The Store] [At the Movies] [The Calendar]
[Photo Album] [The Speeding Sweethearts] [Silent Era Facts] [Silent Star of the Month]